[SLUG] Linuxcertified laptops?

From: Mark Polhamus (meplists@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 19:38:35 EDT

I'm thinking of buying a laptop from Linuxcertified:
<http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2500.html>.

Has anyone had dealings with this vendor or know someone who has?

I've seen positive product reviews but their website doesn't impress me. They
don't seem to want to be contacted by email even. No "support" section with
driver updates, etc. Looks like most of their business is training, like
hardware is a sideline for them. No FAQs or user forums like you find with
most vendors. Their "order" page hasn't been updated for the new model, I
wonder if it's really shipping? Guess I'll have to call to find out.

Any other pertinent information would be appreciated. I'm looking for a fast
laptop with a large (17") screen and 1MB+ of memory. Portability and battery
runtime isn't as important.

I'm sure I could find similar hardware for much less and install Linux myself
with the usual hassles with laptop hardware like I have done before -- but my
time is worth something. This one has most of the right spec.s and comes
pre-configured with Fedora Core 2 apparently with a custom kernel optimized
for the HT processor (SMP?). And I don't pay for Windows which I won't use!

Only thing that seems to be missing is a DVD writer ... wait ... just realized
that it doesn't have built-in WiFi either -- for that price :( I haven't yet
configured WiFi on my current machine, I've heard it is a hassle. I'd like to
have 802.11g. Only one PCI slot as far as I can tell, so if I use that for
WiFi I have none left. Looks like it's on the front left, not a good location
for an antenna.

Also the usual downsides with buying online -- can't try the keyboard, check
out how solid the case is, what it sounds like...

So how about it, does anyone know Linuxcertified.com or is happy with their
large screen laptop running Linux?

Thanks,

-- Mark Polhamus