Re: [SLUG] Linuxcertified laptops?

From: Tom E. Craddock, Jr. (sigtom@sigtom.com)
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 20:16:14 EDT

Mark Polhamus wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying a laptop from Linuxcertified:
> <http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2500.html>.
>
> Has anyone had dealings with this vendor or know someone who has?
>
> I've seen positive product reviews but their website doesn't impress
> me. They
> don't seem to want to be contacted by email even. No "support"
> section with
> driver updates, etc. Looks like most of their business is training, like
> hardware is a sideline for them. No FAQs or user forums like you find
> with
> most vendors. Their "order" page hasn't been updated for the new
> model, I
> wonder if it's really shipping? Guess I'll have to call to find out.
>
> Any other pertinent information would be appreciated. I'm looking for
> a fast
> laptop with a large (17") screen and 1MB+ of memory. Portability and
> battery
> runtime isn't as important.
>
> I'm sure I could find similar hardware for much less and install Linux
> myself
> with the usual hassles with laptop hardware like I have done before --
> but my
> time is worth something. This one has most of the right spec.s and comes
> pre-configured with Fedora Core 2 apparently with a custom kernel
> optimized for the HT processor (SMP?). And I don't pay for Windows
> which I won't use!
>
> Only thing that seems to be missing is a DVD writer ... wait ... just
> realized
> that it doesn't have built-in WiFi either -- for that price :( I
> haven't yet
> configured WiFi on my current machine, I've heard it is a hassle. I'd
> like to
> have 802.11g. Only one PCI slot as far as I can tell, so if I use
> that for
> WiFi I have none left. Looks like it's on the front left, not a good
> location
> for an antenna.
>
> Also the usual downsides with buying online -- can't try the keyboard,
> check
> out how solid the case is, what it sounds like...
>
> So how about it, does anyone know Linuxcertified.com or is happy with
> their
> large screen laptop running Linux?
>
> Thanks,
>

> -- Mark Polhamus

Hey,

I looked into getting one of their laptops as I feel the same way,
wanted a good reliable laptop, 15"-17" LCD screen, DVD burner, large
RAM, etc. I ended up going with an HP zt3380us from Circuit City for
around ~$1700.00. I had done a bit of research, and found that it met
up to all of my hardware desires, and that there wasnt too much one had
to do to get all the hardware working. I am running FC2, kernel
2.6.8-1.521, and have all of the hardware working on if. I have a link
below to the laptop site at HP, but heres the hardware that seemed like
it wouldve been hard, but was quite easy. Within an hour of first
repartitioning and install a stock FC2 I had the below working:

Bluetooth w/KDE framework
Intel Centrino 802.11b/g WiFI
SD Reader (I installed everything needed for it, but havent had a chance
to test it yet)
The laptop is a 15.4" WXGA Widescreen HiDef display @1280x800...a quick
edit of the xorg.conf and it was working beautifully.

Outside of that, everything else on the laptop works with the stock FC2
install. Not sure if this is exactly this is what youd be interested,
but thought you may find it interesting.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=421940&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00169925