Re: [SLUG] Debian on laptop

From: Logan Tygart (thelogan@allyourbase-arebelongto.us)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 06:22:59 EDT

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 23:19, Chuck Hast wrote:
> Folks,
> I am trying to get familiar with Debian, I have a Tosh 490xdt which I am
> installing it on. Seems most stuff is coming up but the network piece. I
> have PCMCIA WiFi card in it (senao card which uses the prisim chip
> set) but it appears that a eth0 entry was not created in the system.
> PCMCIA appears to come up if I do a lsmod I see all of the modules in
> there, the WiFi card even lights up a small pilot LED when the PCMCIA
> stuff starts running and beeps.

Which version of Debian are you running? Woody, Sarge or Sid?
Did you install the linux-wlan-ng-modules for your kernel? What about
wireless-tools?

Try: apt-cache search wireless . It will show a list of wireless
goodies available for installation.

Then: apt-get install linux-wlan-ng-modules-your.kernel.version
wireless-tools .

You may also need to install dhclient if you are using dynamic ip
addresses.

> But when I do a ifconfig, all I see is the 'lo' entry, no eth0 or any other
> assigment.

Set up wlan0 in /etc/network/interfaces. Assuming you will be using
dhcp, add this:

iface wlan0 inet dhcp

In /etc/wlan there will be wlancfg-DEFAULT. Copy this file and change
DEFAULT to what ever your ssid is (cp wlancfg-DEFAULT wlancfg-foo) .
Then edit the file and make the appropriate changes for network foo,
where foo is the ssid you use for your network.

> Trying to figure out what I have not done correctly.

This should get you going.

The Logan

--
05:55:01 up 29 days, 7:09, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.26, 0.58
Manly and twinkie do not belong in the same sentenance.(sic) -- Mark Bishop, SLUG List