Re: [SLUG] Debian on laptop

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 08:50:04 EDT

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:38:07 -0700 (PDT), Mark Banschbach
<mrbear37@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi CHuck , et al ,
>
> Just as an aside, IF you like Debian or are curious
> about it, then another solution for those who are
> Linux techie sorts, would be a distro called Damn
> Small Linux.
>
> I have a 486-33 that I have Debian "Woody" installed
> on. Its an older machine obviously and it had no CD
> rom. After an entire afternoon, 30 or so FLoppies and
>
> Alot of "Iron Chef" I got it installed and the thing
> runs like a top. I fell in love Debian after that.
> That being said.. Damn Small Linux is a Knoppix/Debian
> Derivative and Its a great toy. It fits on a 50 Meg
> Live CD and installs in 300 Megs on the HD.
>
> It is possible that you may be able to pick up your
> wireless card with that and have your Debian too !
>
> Just a thought..

Mark,
I am using a Toshiba 490XCDT. What I am trying to do is set it
up so I can work with the AX25 stuff without impacting my SuSE
system which I was working on. The problem with the other system
is there is something in the AX25 stuff that causes lockups, and I
also wanted a separate machine so I could set it up as a network
device and leave it for a few days as a test/demo machine.

Debian has all of the ax25 stuff and keeps it pretty up to date.
In the end I want to learn how to build a very simple CD/floppy
install that will allow for the replacement of the old state wide
DOS packet switches with LINUX based switches, since many
who admin those things do not know much about Linux my target
is as simple a install as possible, hopefully to get to the point where
it ask questions about that piece of the network and when answered
leaves a linux switch in place.

I will check out damn small linux. I see a lot of firewalls/routers and
other small systems are based on Debian, indeed that was another
reason for going that direction.

I think that the fact that you build the system up makes things a lot
clearer in terms of what is going on. For a quick desktop install the
packaged products are very good, but when you are learnng to
build specialized devices, it appears that Debian is the way to go.