Re: [SLUG] Dual Boot into Three boot

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 02:36:21 EDT

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:49:18 -0400, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 October 2004 07:37 pm, Caleb wrote:

>> I am currently running both Xandros
>> Business 2.5 Linux and XP on a laptop. I have partitioned the drive for
>> another distro of linux (Fedora 2). My problem is that last time I
>> tried to triple boot I was only able to see Fedora and XP. My ultimate
>> choice is to have :
>>
>> Fedora 2
>> Xandros 2.5
>> XP
>>
>> In that order. I believe that xandros installs Lilo. I also read that
>> Fedora defaults to Grub, but can use Lilo also.

If the Fedora installer asks you, tell it to install _no_ bootloader,
otherwise you'll have two config files (one in Fedora and one in Xandros),
and the one in Xandros will know of it and XP and so will the one in
Fedora.

>> My question is how to do this?

Once you install Fedora, mount its "/" (or "/boot" if it has one),
read-only if you like, duplicate an existing section in /etc/lilo.conf so
it looks something like this:

default=xandros

image=/boot/vmlinuz-whatever-you-have-for-xandros
label=Xandros
initrd=/boot/initrd-ditto.img
read-only
root=/dev/wherever-xandros-is

image=/mnt/temp/boot/vmlinuz-whatever-you-have-for-fedora
label=fedora
initrd=/mnt/temp/boot/initrd-ditto.img
read-only
root=/dev/wherever-fedora-is

other=/dev/wherever-windows-is
label=Win_XP

There may be another way, where you tell the Fedora installer that you DO
want a bootloader, but installed in the partition, not the hard drive's
master boot record, and it shouldn't be dual-boot, but I've never done
that.

> The swap can be shared.

Data for "suspend to disk" (or whatever it's called) is written by default
to a partition (swap is usually chosen, unless you like overwriting your
filesystems). If you plan on using that, you need separate swaps, unless
you know a way around it.

> I prefer grub over lilo as it's more flexible. Like being able to modify
> the
> boot script on the fly.

So I've heard.

PISCES:  Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
You are the Lord of the Dance, no matter what those idiots at
work say.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_