Re: [SLUG] Dual Boot into Three boot

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 20:49:18 EDT

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 07:37 pm, Caleb wrote:
> Eben King wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:35:06 -0400, Caleb <calebsr2k@acm.org> wrote:
> >> I currently have Xandros 2.5 dual booting with XP. My question
> >> pertains to installing Fedora 2. I believe that Lilo is the boot
> >> loader. Is there anything special that I need to do? I have already
> >> set up some spare room on my drive. I have not however partitioned
> >> anything for Fedora.
> >
> > No, nothing special. You can have two lilo.confs, but synchronization
> > is a nightmare. Decide where you're going to have it, mount the other
> > /boot, add the third OS's kernel to lilo.conf, "lilo -v" (so you can
> > see what it's doing). There might be some way to install a second
> > lilo inside of Fedora's partition and daisy-chain to that, but I've
> > never done that and it sounds like more pain than it's worth.
> >
> > I hope this mail client wraps its lines...
>
> Okay maybe I did not make clear. I am currently running both Xandros
> Business 2.5 Linux and XP on a laptop. I have partitioned the drive for
> another distro of linux (Fedora 2). My problem is that last time I
> tried to triple boot I was only able to see Fedora and XP. My ultimate
> choice is to have :
>
> Fedora 2
> Xandros 2.5
> XP
>
> In that order. I believe that xandros installs Lilo. I also read that
> Fedora defaults to Grub, but can use Lilo also.
>
> My question is how to do this? I will be more than glad to email my lilo
> conf file and any other data required.
>
> I would really appreciate any assistance in this matter.

No problem. I've had 12 OS's installed in the same computer. (Windows, Linux,
BSDs and Solaris versions.) Makes for a lot of partitions. : )

This is pretty straight fwd. I use seperate dirs for all, but only one of the
linux installs will control the boot manager. The trick is to know what is
needed to boot each. I.e. where to point to. All you have to do is make a
note of what the kernel is called and so on.

All you need to do is install XP on it's partition. Next Linux #1 in its dirs.
Make a note of what boot managers .conf looks like.

Install #2, make it install a new BM. Make a not of it's conf. Finally install
the third and when done add the entries from the earlier configs.
Reboot with the addition of the other linux's and you should be able to access
them all.

The swap can be shared.

I prefer grub over lilo as it's more flexible. Like being able to modify the
boot script on the fly. The same sequence applies to grub as lilo.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.