Re: [SLUG] Debian on laptop

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 10:30:14 EDT

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:42:55 -0400, Eric Jahn <eric@ejahn.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 October 2004 09:36 pm, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> you've got the orinoco/hermes modules autoloading for your prism chipset,
> which is a very good combination. is it an 802.11b access point? maybe the
> network settings are incorrect? are you connecting to an access point with a
> static address as you interfaces file indicates? or are you using dhcp, in
> which case your interfaces file should have "iface wlan0 inet dhcp" instead
> of "iface wlan0 inet static" and you would then comment out everything after
> that. i attached my dhcp interfaces file below. when you use the wlan0
> interface instead of an eth0 interace, i think you need to treat it a little
> differently.
>
> from http://www.tulrich.com/geekstuff/debian_tricks.html
>
> "My /etc/network/interfaces has this in it:
>
> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> wireless_mode managed
> wireless_rate 54M auto
> wireless_channel 6
> wireless_essid XXXXX
> wireless_key XXXXXXXXXX
>
> (Replace the X's with your values) Then, "ifup wlan0" brings the interface up,
> "ifdown eth0" to turn off the wired interface, and I'm on the net without a
> wire. "
>
> if you really wanted the static config, what does the command "iwconfig wlan0"
> give you?
>
> also, do the stuff Logan mentioned: "In /etc/wlan there will be
> wlancfg-DEFAULT. Copy this file and change
> DEFAULT to what ever your ssid is (cp wlancfg-DEFAULT wlancfg-foo) .
> Then edit the file and make the appropriate changes for network foo,
> where foo is the ssid you use for your network. "
> ...and make sure you have those wireless packages he mentioned installed.
>
> Hope this helps. You've got the

I got pissed at the whole thing and stuck the lord sutch CD in and re-loaded the
whole thing. Figured I had probably messed more stuff up than it was worth, so
better to start out with a clean system.

I will send you the new files. I need to learn how to deal with
Debian, it is just different
environment I am sure. It is funny, it comes up and finds the CF card
that I have stuck
in the other slot, I can mount the card just fine and indeed that is
they way I move the
files over to this machine to send them.

But the wireless stuff is a total no go, regardless of what I do.
These are virgin files, I just reloaded the whole thing. The
interfaces file will be almost empty.

I thought that after doing so many things it was better just to start out with
a new clean install, and start building from there. Right now all I want to
get up and running is the wireless card so I can get the thing on the network,
then I will start adding all of the other stuff I need.