[SLUG] Verizon Fios fiber and Slackware

From: Tom Suzda (suzda@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 20:53:16 EDT

I noticed the Verizon people finishing up in the area burying the fiber,
so I called. It was installed yesterday. 15/2 Mbps. The only problem
is, and they spent an extra 2 hours with me trying to get it to work,
in that they don't support Linux, or Mozilla, for that matter. They
were as interested as I was to get it working as they said, they
figured, I was about the 10th person in Florida to get the Fios fiber
system installed.

We had no problem accessing the router, and setting all of it up and
getting a connection. Maybe 10 minutes, if even that. Now we bring up
Mozilla, and go to the speed test site. 8 Mbps....wait a minute here,
it's supposed to be 15 Mbps. So, they asked if there was any way they
could install it using Windows. I have 1 W2k system here that I use for
supporting some old customers. It doesn't have IE or Outlook installed
on it. It does have Mozilla and Thunderbird email installed. They said
they'd try working with that. We tried, but it wanted Java, which I
hadn't installed, so they said they have to go with IE on Windows or
stop the installation. So, we loaded IE. Tested the speed, 14.89 Mbps.
While they were congratulating themselves, I downloaded and installed
the Java for Mozilla. Said it was downloaded before the download
manager had a chance to come up. Tested it under Mozilla, and exact
same speed. So it works under both IE and Mozilla.

Now I have a question for the group.

After they left, I connected it to the network, and running the same
speed test, I'm still getting around 8 Mpbs. I disconnected from the
network, and plugged one of the 6 linux boxes in, through the Dl - 604
router that they use, disconnecting all other systems. Same test, same
8 Mbps speed.

I've gone to a number of web sites to try and tune the linux tcp
parameters, but anything I do doesn't change anything.

The only interesting info I can convey is that while the D-link DFE
530-TX+ shows full duplex, both, while booting, and running mii-tool
-v, after running the test and asking for all the information, the
speed site says it's a half duplex connection. Not the same info under
Windblows. I mean that would make sense, since the speed is about half
of what I'm expecting.

To rub salt in the proverbial wound, the installers called back today to
see how I liked it and verify everything was in working order. All I
could say was that it was still showing a 14.98 Mbps speed test, under
Windows.

So after this long winded dissertation, where do I go from here? Linux
was always almost twice as fast under the cable modem than Windows ever
hoped to be. Where do I look? What other tweaks should I be trying. I
have plenty of systems to use for testing, so I have no problem
rebuilding kernels. I guess one of the problems is that I'm on the
bleeding edge of this technology and need to figure it out to help
others, besides myself.

What I've tried so far:

Even though the NIC auto-negotiates a 100-FDx connection, I've used
mii-tools to force it there as well.
I've upped the TCP buffer limits, and increased the autotuning TCP
buffer limits.
Turned off/on tcp_window_scaling
Adjusted the MTU to 1492 (before I did that, I couldn't even connect to
the router sometimes)
Made sure txqueuelen was at least 1000

I'm at a loss. I'm reading as fast as I can, and I'd love to call
Blighthouse and tell them to come pick up their modem, and I can if I
want to convert immediately, but I've paid through the middle of next
month, I'll probably just use it up. That's why this is being send
under the tampabay.rr.com account. I haven't even gone in and set up my
Fios email accounts.

Help!!!!

Thanks,

Tom