Re: [SLUG] Ubuntu low memory mode install

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 10:41:50 EDT

> I then go back to the installer, and try to install the base
> system, but it tells me I have to have a / partition mounted,
> and that the partitioner should have already done that for me.
> I go to the partitioning tool option in the Ubuntu installer,
> and it dies, with no reason given, and dumps back to the
> isntaller menu.

Well, that sounds broken. Well, forging onward, my guess is it
isn't talking about mounting the target / over the ramdisk /,
otherwise the installer would have more probems getting anything
done :). I've never done Ubuntu... is there a mountpoint like
/install or something that it wants to mount the target / too?

> I go back to the shell prompt, and try to mount the / partition
> to hda3 (which seems to be /dev/discs/disc0/part3) but I get an
> error msg that it's not a block device. Even though ls -l in that
> directory shows that it is...

devfs, eh? No idea why this is happening if you were able to
successfully update the partition table etc and the device is
listed as a block device. Anything related in dmesg? But this
is probably why the installer is blowing up...

> Also, / is already mounted on the ramdisk, so I don't know how
> to mount / to the real disk partition, since it's already
> mounted...

It's perfectly legal to mount the new / on top of the existing /...
but like I said earlier, you don't want to do that. Everything that
is already up and running would work... but any subsequent opens
would fail cuz 'taint there no mo. No /lib, /bin, /etc, etc... bad
idea.

> Maybe I'll give up un Ubuntu for this old PC and try Slackware
> or VectorLinux. I found some memory upgrades on the web (up to
> 128MB) but they cost more than this old laptop is worth!

It'd be interesting to see if that "not a block device error"
persists across other installers...

~ Daniel

Now includes pop-up blocker!