RE: [SLUG] Re: OT - CAD vendors advising customers to outsource --better analogy

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 18:03:18 EDT

>>It's like comparing a truck (or even a hovercraft) to an aircraft.

Ok, I like that better.

But that's the exact point I was making. The F1 car or Aircraft is far
superior in the _right_ application. But the Accord or Truck is more
general purpose, easier to learn, cheaper to own, and effect for many (not
all) applications.

The classic specialized tool v. general purpose tool issue. I just can't
suggest making broad statements that one is better than the other. I agree
that most people think CAD=AutoCAD. That certainly annoys the other CAD
vendors, much like the blank stare I get when I say Linux.

Ken Elliott