Re: [SLUG] Clearwater Verizon DSL and PPPOE

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 22:57:41 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

>Folks:
>
>I'm preparing to move and to get Verizon DSL in Clearwater. (I have
>Verizon DSL in New Port Richey at present.) The deal they're selling now
>is that they'll give you a combination DSL modem with 802.11g wireless
>router (you can turn off the router part). I'm not fond of commercial
>routers because they're not as infinitely configurable as a Linux
>router. Moreover I'm completely creeped out by using wireless because of
>the security issues. Verizon DSL in Clearwater uses PPPOE.
>
>This raises a some issues.
>
>1. From some casual reading, it appears that if you are given a router
>in combination with a DSL modem, you may not need to use PPPOE; DHCP may
>work for you instead. (Reference: http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/
>). I'm not keen on using the wireless router; does that mean I'm pretty
>much stuck with PPPOE?
>
>2. In a normal PPP session, the connection times out after a period of
>inactivity. Is this also true of PPPOE connections?
>
>3. If my Linux router handles the PPPOE part of the handshaking (as in a
>Coyote Linux router, which I have), then can the machines behind the
>router simply act as though this is a standard ethernet connection with
>regard to the internet (which they do now)?
>
>Paul

>This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
>Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
>posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
>official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

Paul,

When did Ex-GTE area aka Verizon West start using pppoe It is odd they
are using PPPOE as Verizon west has always been just straight DHCP and
not PPPOE also what does the modem say you are syncing at. Are they
giving you the extra provisioning to account for pppoe over head.

Also this is what I would do. put the modem in bridge mode ( nat
routing off) but have the modem do the PPPOE handshake and handling so
iit will be no different than what you had in NPR.

Only reason why I would belive you are on PPPOE is because of FIOS aka
FTTH ( fiber to the house) Where they been putting PPPOE equipment to
track bandwith usage with the fiber service they plan on having all over
tampa bay area by the end of 05