Re: [SLUG] the golden rule of discussion can go to hell Bryan J smith

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 23:13:13 EST

Combatants and spectators:

I don't have a problem with minor changes to the end of subject lines;
mutt doesn't appear to care when it threads the messages. That's just
me. The reponse in terms of "voting" from list members appears
inconclusive, though I suspect most people don't care much either way.
Since I can't verify whether Bryan actually gets compliments on this,
nor the cited O'Reilly discussion guidelines, I can't say whether
there's any objective evidence in support of extending subject lines.
Personally, I think it's too much work, but that's just me. Nor can I
make any good arguments against it, other than the annoyance of one
or a few list members. So unless anyone can come up with hard evidence,
I'd say it's a wash.

As for the bickering, I think the negative list response says it. Both
of you guys have a tendency to bicker (that's being charitable). And
most people would rather not hear it. Obviously, you can't resolve your
differences privately either, which doesn't surprise me. You _could_ put
this on SLUG-Politics, but it's really a personal issue between you two.
I'd suggest using procmail to plonk each other, using the Delete key, or
finding some other way of resolving the issue without involving the rest
of us.

And yes, I do get tired of being dragged into cat fights.

Paul