Re: [SLUG] email clients

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 11:53:23 EST

On Monday 08 November 2004 09:50 am, John wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:32:20 -0500, Meyer, David R <david.meyer07@ca.com>
wrote:
> > I find gmail works perfect for these type of lists.
>
> David, I completely agree. I set up a Gmail account specifically for
> lists to which I am subscribed.
>
> Because Gmail just does lists, I don't have security issues; a) they
> are public to begin with, so I don't care who reads my mail at google,
> and b) they might be stored on a machine that I don't own, a couple of
> thousand miles away, but if they vanish tomorrow, who cares.

Hmm. There are still potential holes in that setup.

I assume you are using a browser to read the gmail, which means all it takes
is for someone to customize his viral code to come in that way. Which has
already been done. Fortunately you are on Linux so that does lower the risk
factor. (There was a hole discovered that worked cross platform on most jpg
processors, and was quickly plugged on Linux.

Though the only safe way to read email is by not processing html.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.