Re: [SLUG] custom kernel for SuSE 9.1

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 00:06:51 EST

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Mike Branda wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 17:26, Eben King wrote:
> snip
> > I'm trying to make a custom kernel for my SuSE 9.1 system, which is an IBM
> > Thinkpad T40 (1.4 GHz P4-M, 768 MB RAM, 25 (30?) GB HD). The HD has 4
> > primary partitions (no extended partitions). The reason I'm doing this is
> > to eliminate the drivers and options it uses for which I don't have the
> > hardware support (i.e., almost all of them). For instance, I don't have
> > RAID (nor is it feasible on this machine).
> >
> > I've done this many times in the past, and it's (usually) no big deal.
> > This time, however, it's being a bear.
> >
> > I'm starting with the SuSE stock .config (gzip -d < /proc/config.gz >
> > /usr/src/linux-2.6.7/.config), and (after I get that to work) modifying it
> > to fit my needs. But I get many errors as soon as the root fs (reiserfs)
> > is mounted during the boot sequence.
> /snip
>
> Eben, I've never tried the gzip -d < /proc/config.gz thing but when I
> was messing with the SuSE 9.1 2.6 kernel highmem (greater than 4GB)
> stuff, I had to copy the stock config from /boot. The packaged kernel
> sources on my box didn't have a .config file and you have to cp
> /boot/config-2.6.5-7.104-default /usr/src/linux/.config.

That would have been a better starting place I guess, but what I did was
find a .config on the web, and used that with "make oldconfig", then
modified to taste.

Turns out the problem above was caused by the SuSE kernel taking the
partitions fdisk laid out over what IBM set up (with the pre-desktop
area), and the stock kernel did the reverse. /usr went to the end of the
disk (through the pre-desktop area) so SuSE kernel read it fine, but stock
kernel couldn't read last part of it. Redefining /usr fixed it.