Re: [SLUG] Any local Mac user groups.

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 01:06:26 EST

Russell Hires wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 17:24, Robert Snyder wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:15:31 -0500, Bill Shaw <bill.shaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>http://appleusergroups.com/locator/find/locate.cgi?state=FL
>>>
>>>Looks like the one in Tampa is more for Digital Artists though.
>>>
>>>Here's another one: http://www.flmug.org/
>>
>>Oh my god I am going to die. they are so covered in fluff it is not
>>funny. To qoute chad, they are too busy people out color schemes to
>>go with there damn mac.
>>

> Okay...I'm about to be offended. I've used Macs since 1989 (at a TV
> station, no less), and there's more to Macs (and Mac people). Without
> going into all the great reasons I love Macs, I'd just like to say that
> they shouldn't be written off like that.
>
> Russell

So: Who said anything bad about Macs? Who even said anything bad about
Mac users in general? Who's writing off Macs and their users? Not I.

That having been said, I am now going to say something bad about Mac users:

Part of what has turned me off Macs for years (aside from the fact that
before MacOS X there was no way I could stand the OS for more than a few
seconds at a time, ever since about '92) has been the general run of
Mac-heads. Most Mac users I've run into over the years are RABID Mac
users who take it upon themselves to feel superior to everyone else, act
arrogant to extremes that make the worst Gentoo elitist look like a meek
newbie groveling at the feet of Roblimo, and somehow manage to know
ALMOST NOTHING about the inner workings of their computers. They sure
as hell have known where to get mousepads and CD racks that match their
iMacs, though.

There are, on the other hand, some VERY RARE and very knowledgeable Mac
users out there. I'm friends with a couple. I've even seen some of
them put together networks of MacOS 8 and 9 systems that just rock my
socks, aside from the fact that I loathe the interface (and the
one-button mouse, on the rare occasion the thing doesn't get immediately
tossed in the trash in favor of a two-button or three-button mouse). I
have great respect for the few EXTREMELY RARE Mac users I've come across
that are well-informed, skilled, intelligent, and reasonable people with
a healthy respect for the varied capabilities of different platforms. I
also have great respect for the MacOS X operating system itself, and for
some of the impressive features of Mac hardware developed over the years.

More than 99% of users are as bad, in their own way, as the worst 10% of
Windows end users, though. Seriously, folks, if you are picking out
your computer because you want it to match your drapes (as someone else
on this list put it), you're probably going to annoy the everlovin' hell
out of me. If it matters that much to you, buy a computer for the specs
with no regard for your drapes THEN PAINT IT. Call it a case mod, gain
some geek points, and don't natter on in my ear about how amazingly
"cute" you find your early-generation iMac (that doesn't even come with
a drive for removable recordable media) to be.

It is for this reason I'm not on any MUGs and probably never will be,
even when I get the Mac that I would like to have in the near future.
Far from denigrating Macs (which I might have done gleefully before
MacOS X came out, though in a good-natured manner), I kinda like them.
I'd rather have one with MacOS X installed on it than any system with
Windows XP. It's not the Mac that bothers me: it's the marketing and
the VAST MAJORITY of Mac users.

Don't take it personally, unless you computer-shop with a piece of
fabric from your drapes in your hand and pay no attention to performance
specs. If you're that kind of Mac user, maybe you should just accept
that I'm going to feel the urge to look down my nose at you a little,
but if you're not -- if, instead, you shop for a computer, and not an
attractive blender with a picture of an apple on it -- you have nothing
to fear from my opinion of you or your computer.

--
Chad