Re: [SLUG] Any local Mac user groups.

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 08:13:16 EST

Chad Perrin wrote:

> Russell Hires wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 17:24, Robert Snyder wrote:

>>> Oh my god I am going to die. they are so covered in fluff it is not
>>> funny. To qoute chad, they are too busy people out color schemes to
>>> go with there damn mac.
>>>

>> Okay...I'm about to be offended. I've used Macs since 1989 (at a TV
>> station, no less), and there's more to Macs (and Mac people). Without
>> going into all the great reasons I love Macs, I'd just like to say that
>> they shouldn't be written off like that.
>> Russell
>>

> So: Who said anything bad about Macs? Who even said anything bad
> about Mac users in general? Who's writing off Macs and their users?
> Not I.
>
> That having been said, I am now going to say something bad about Mac
> users:
>
> Part of what has turned me off Macs for years (aside from the fact
> that before MacOS X there was no way I could stand the OS for more
> than a few seconds at a time, ever since about '92) has been the
> general run of Mac-heads. Most Mac users I've run into over the years
> are RABID Mac users who take it upon themselves to feel superior to
> everyone else, act arrogant to extremes that make the worst Gentoo
> elitist look like a meek newbie groveling at the feet of Roblimo, and
> somehow manage to know ALMOST NOTHING about the inner workings of
> their computers. They sure as hell have known where to get mousepads
> and CD racks that match their iMacs, though.
>
> There are, on the other hand, some VERY RARE and very knowledgeable
> Mac users out there. I'm friends with a couple. I've even seen some
> of them put together networks of MacOS 8 and 9 systems that just rock
> my socks, aside from the fact that I loathe the interface (and the
> one-button mouse, on the rare occasion the thing doesn't get
> immediately tossed in the trash in favor of a two-button or
> three-button mouse). I have great respect for the few EXTREMELY RARE
> Mac users I've come across that are well-informed, skilled,
> intelligent, and reasonable people with a healthy respect for the
> varied capabilities of different platforms. I also have great respect
> for the MacOS X operating system itself, and for some of the
> impressive features of Mac hardware developed over the years.
>
> More than 99% of users are as bad, in their own way, as the worst 10%
> of Windows end users, though. Seriously, folks, if you are picking
> out your computer because you want it to match your drapes (as someone
> else on this list put it), you're probably going to annoy the
> everlovin' hell out of me. If it matters that much to you, buy a
> computer for the specs with no regard for your drapes THEN PAINT IT.
> Call it a case mod, gain some geek points, and don't natter on in my
> ear about how amazingly "cute" you find your early-generation iMac
> (that doesn't even come with a drive for removable recordable media)
> to be.

> [...]

Chad, that is what I am talking about. I am spent years knowing the
inner workings of OS 6.08 through 9.22. OS X I know nothing . about
it inner workings. Trying to find one those rarities with osx. I did
check out a couple of MUGs and they seem to more stupid conversions
about fluff then it was actually being there for techincally support.
If i ask where does "Panther" 10.3 keep the ssh config file.