Re: [SLUG] the golden rule of discussion can go to hell Bryan J smith

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 13:57:57 EST

I use gmail and mutt for my mail, currently having gmail forward stuff
to my personal postfix setup. Mutt does do propper threading, however
the subject-changing
is annoying there as it is on Gmail.

See, in threading mode in mutt the subject of a thread is shown only once,
if it is identical to the one before it. This is visually pleasing to me.
Now with Mr. Agent Smith's posts, these are still properly threaded, but
it makes my =Lists/SLUG folder look rather more cluttered than I like.

The solution, with a fetchmail + postfix + procmail + spamasssin + mutt setup
is to write a procmail filter that looks for the In-Reply-To header,
gets that message, and replaces the subject of the message being filtered.

This has some nasty edge-cases, but it's much more productive than claiming
someone's eccentricity / style is defective.

It is just like using t-prot with mutt
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/t-prot/) or filtering
excessive CAPITIAL LETTERS into <caps>capital letters</caps> in Irssi
(IRC client).

Now if only I could fine a heuristic for sending posts about "System X
sucks, it doesn't support Z. Nobody should use it" when system X is
something I have no issues with... That seems to an almost universal
alement with engineer/CS people...