[SLUG] The thread that would not die, and could not be changed

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 22:07:19 EST

> PLEASE PEOPLE, KILL THIS THREAD AND PICK IT UP UNDER A DIFFERENT
> HEADING. IT HAS CAUSED ENOUGH DAMAGE AS IS.

Bryan actually left the list as of last Sunday. This is according
to some off-list mail I was sent. I've been in touch with him
to express my regret that he has left.

This is not the first time this has happened, either.
I personally found great value in the knowledge that
he shared with us, even if only in an academic sense.

Now, I was part of this in a peripheral way because I
commented on my feelings about threaded e-mail.

Here we have definitive proof that fancy threaded readers
don't solve the problem, because of all the postings that
retain the old subj. line when the actual content has
drifted way off into space on a totally different topic.

A threaded email reader depends on and assumes the rather
novel concept that all participants honor the thread, until it
changes. By definition, every new message changes it to
a degree, then the question becomes, who defines "to a
degree". Answer == No one.

Most people solve that by not even considering what is
written in the Subj. field, much less trying to edit it.
(Yes you ARE allowed to do that)

This is why I said over the weekend, don't let software of
this type do your thinking for you.

Besides, how much of what appears on this list do you
feel the need to archive? And when you do, isn't it more
betterish (a technical term, actually) to devise your own
naming?

- Bob

ps last night WE made it to Bennigans. I suspect the rest of
you detoured at Joe R's place? [lol]