Re: [SLUG] Linux as print server for windows

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 15:55:44 EST

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Bill Glidden wrote:

> My printer can do parallel or Ethernet, is there any advantage to using
> one connection over the other?

The hardware for parallel is built into most machines (but ethernet card
are cheap). Ethernet is probably faster (don't know a parallel
connection's speed). Parallel is more secure (parallel interfaces don't
support the same sort of hacking that ethernet ones do), unless you want
to go to a two-node network, but then you're back to buying another NIc.
If you already have a working ethernet interface but not a parallel one,
then choosing the printer's ethernet port involves no additional memory
use on the server (the module for your card is already loaded, whereas
parport.o is not). Again, a private network eliminates that advantage.

> <suckup>
>
> Just as an aside, this list is a great resource! I rarely RTFM because most
> of you guys seem to have MTFM (memorized :-)).
>
> So, thanks.
>
> </suckup>

It's to your advantage to RTFM too, as then you don't have to express your
question in words, and possibly get it misinterpreted. Also, not
everybody has memorized the _entire_ manual; you might pick an unusual
solution, that nonetheless is quite elegant. You also learn more by
developing solutions yourself, rather than having them given to you.

TAURUS:  You will never find true happiness - what you gonna
do, cry about it?  The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up,
do a bunch of stuff and then go back to sleep.  -- Weird Al