RE: [SLUG] Linux as print server for windows

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 13:22:59 EST

>>The question is what, if anything, do I need on my windows box to let it
use the Linux print server?

I like SAMBA on the Linux box. That way the Win boxes can use file
services, etc. It also keeps the Win boxes simple.

>>My printer can do parallel or Ethernet, is there any advantage to using
one connection over the other?

I vote Parallel. It's simpler. With Ethernet, a lot of issues can prevent
printing and increases the troubleshooting time/effort. With parallel, you
do a test print from Linux. If it works, you cut the problem in two. If it
doesn't, you can plug the printer into another computer and test print. If
it works, the printer is fine. I find that planning your troubleshooting
sequence in advance helps dictate the network configuration.

Of course, if you want the ability to move the printer farther than the
length of a parallel cable, pick Ethernet. On Win servers I usually install
two instances of the printer. One via parallel for testing/troubleshooting,
and a second via Ethernet for sharing. If printing issues develop between
the server to the printer, I can hook it up via parallel and do a quick test
print. If that doesn't work, I have a printer issue. If it does, the
problem is the network or server.

Ken Elliott