Re: [SLUG] OT: Steve Wozniak to speak in Ft. Lauderdale

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 10:18:31 EST

Wozniak was awesome. He started with some stories about his childhood,
mentioning how he would tinker with electronics from an early age. He also
spoke about the environment he was in (teachers, friends, access to
transistors) and how it helped. The HomeBrew computer club, and clubs in
general, was also a major influece. One thing that was constant was the push
for optimization of resources which was driven by cost. I.e., he didn't have
the money to buy expensive parts so he made do with cheaper alternatives. He
recounted the early days of Apple (e.g. selling his HP calculator to fund the
business, getting the floppy working, figuring out how to use a TV as a
terminal, Cap'n Crunch's influences) and also lots of his personal philosophy.
He made a couple light digs at Steve Jobs, but didn't downplay Jobs' role in
the early years. Oh, he's also a Bob Dylan fan!

After the talk he stayed around for close to an hour (after the 2 hour speech)
to shake hands, sign autographs and take pictures. He didn't leave until he
had spoken personally with everyone who wanted. In this session he spoke about
his ham radio interests, education, state of current tech, slide rules, some
Linux (couldn't hear most of it). When I did get to speak with him I think I
mumbled some star-struck nonsense about how he'd changed the world and helped
me support my family. He also mentioned that he'll have his autobiography soon
with lots of more interesting anecdotes. Oh, he's also styling it after
Richard Feynman's _Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynmman_ which I'd mentioned was
one of my favorite books.