Re: [SLUG] Re: Moving from Red Hat

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 08:49:31 EST

On Tuesday, November 16, 2004 11:38 pm, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 22:48, Logan Tygart wrote:
> > Hmmm. Precisely my point. I will stick with Debian, since everyone
> > else wants to emulate it.
>
> You'll get absolutely no argument from me here. Debian is a solid
> distribution choice. And any Debian-based distro can have the same.
>
> Red Hat is trying to do the same for RPM distributions that Debian has.

MandrakeLinux uses a utility called urpmi which is their answer to apt-get,
and it works flawlessly, and it's one of the reasons I've stuck with Mandrake
for most of my linux tenure (I'm currently using Fedora Core 3 until they
finally get the Mandrake 10.1 Official ISOs posted for public download, in
spite of the disappointment with Fedora's failure to include significant
packages, like mp3 support in XMMS--had to compile XMMS from scratch to get
it). Once I install Mandrake off the CDs I just change the urpm sources to
online sites, and simply run 'urpmi <package name>' to install a package with
dependencies or 'urpme <package name>' to remove a package with dependencies.
It's very simple and easy to work with.

Prior to around Mandrake 7 they included a little utility called autourpm,
which created soft links to install every package available in the distro.
When I go to launch a program that's not installed, it would prompt me with
something like, "this app isn't installed, do you want me to install it?",
and after confirming it would automagically install the package with all its
dependencies and then execute the program. Not sure why it was removed from
later versions.

--
The law will never make men free; it is men who have got to make the law free.
  -- Henry David Thoreau