Re: [SLUG] Re: Moving from Red Hat

From: Bill Shaw (bill.shaw@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 21:26:47 EST

For the complete Linux newbie(me) my favorite distro's are Mandrake
and Mepis. I originally went through different stages:

Knoppix - great learning tool for me.

Suse - Had problems with YAST and didn't know enought about installing
software on it.

Mandrake - Uprmi rocks. It's what keeps me coming back to this distro
again and again. My first install of it was flawless. Subsequent
installs not so good. Can't get things like Superkaramba and newest
versions of Gaim installed where they worked in the past. The vast
majority of what I've learned has been with Mandrake.

Fedora Core 2 - Gnome just wasn't my thing and I had just gotten so
used to KDE Didn't like the lack of mp3 support. Had problems
figuring out how to configure the file to install software.

Mepis - I'm so impressed with it! If I were to put a system in front
of my parents to use this would be the distro that would be on it. To
have java configured, real player etc etc is incredible. If the paid
version of Mandrake or anything else were like this I would pay for
it. Only complaint I have with it is the display seems to be locked
at 1024x768 and I don't know enough to make the config changes in X. I
also like Grub better than what Mandrake uses for dual boots(Lilo?)
It's also my first experience with apt-get.

Not sure what next on my plate though. Need to get my other 'simple'
problems worked out before I move on to more difficult items.