Re: [SLUG] hosts.allow/deny by MAC instead of IP

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 04:08:10 EST

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, steve szmidt wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 November 2004 02:47 pm, Mike Branda wrote:
> > I've been googling for a bit and was wondering if anybody knows if you
> > can use the /etc/hosts.allow & hosts.deny files by MAC address instead
> > of network/netmask? I need to deny ssh from everyone but specific
> > machines regardless of IP due to it being dynamic. I have it set up the
> > IP way now but if the address get's re-assigned outside the current
> > block I get screwed. I'd like to set it by the MAC of the originating
> > machine if possible.

> I don't think so. A quick man hosts.allow reveals that it will support domain
> names and ip addresses but not MAC addresses. However you can, using iptables
> or shorewall.

Aren't MAC addresses available only on the same ethernet segment? If so,
the iptables command may be there, but any results it gives are bogus.

AQUARIUS:  There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the
back of a speeding bus.  Fill the void in your pathetic life by playing
Whack-a-Mole 17 hours a day.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_