Re: [SLUG] Re: Moving from Red Hat

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 08:37:44 EST

On Thursday 18 November 2004 06:59 am, Robin "Roblimo" Miller wrote:
> In other words, MEPIS has nearly everything Bruce Perens and others have
> talked about for UserLinux, except it's here and working today.

Everything except for Bruce's Gnome requirement.

I was looking at SimplyMepis yesterday and it's like Xandros: a consistently
outdated version of the KDE desktop. If Xandros and SimplyMepis could
somehow have their special installer script sauce pegged to a regular deb
repository (for Sarge or Sid), and net installed via a minimalist CD that
pulls the latest packages, that would excite me in ways that beer never
could. But then really all of the work that is SimplyMepis (and a lot of
Xandros, minus the licensed goodies) would just be a code contribution to the
new, easy standard Debian installer, not a separate distro.

--
Eric J