Re: [SLUG] Re: Moving from Red Hat

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 09:26:48 EST

On Thursday 18 November 2004 6:59, Robin "Roblimo" Miller wrote:

> An aside: The person who said he couldn't figure out how to set screen
> resolution in MEPIS needs to find the KDE control center (menu -> system
> -> settings) and open "peripherals," then click "display." That's where
> you'll find your montor resolution choices. If you have an nVidia
> graphics card, there's also a separate nVidia-supplied (proprietary)
> utility that handles nVidia settings.

I think I know the problem that the OP is referring to. I had similar problems
with a 3dFX card. The only options that showed up under display were 1024x768
and 800x600. After asking on the Mepis forums, I learned that I had to
uninstall all of the nvidia packages so that glide would load, then run
xf86config. And even then it still required some tweaking just to get
1280x1024 (which for some reason still doesn't show up as a choice under
display).

But on my old laptop, Mepis is the first Debian based distro that has worked
with absolutely no additional tweakage on my part. Insert CD, boot, click
install, wait 20 minutes, create the user accounts then reboot without the
CD. Presto! I don't think it could be any easier than that.

Jeff