Re: [SLUG] Sarasota Meeting: If you attend, read this.

From: John (nesredep@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 13:46:06 EST

> This was the problem in my particular setup. The levels are not saved
> automatically on reboot, so you need to add a few lines to rc.local to
> save then restore the volumes.

If you go Control Center > Sound... > Mixer

there are buttons to save and load volumes, and a checkbox for "Load
volumes on login". They probably create those initializing commands.
Dunno why this wouldn't be checked by default, but on any system I've
installed, it's not.

It's a bigger problem than one might think, because when you're
thrashing around trying to fix the sound using any of the hundred
methods you'll find by Googling, you might already have fixed it and
simply forgotten to turn up the volume! But hey, I bet I'm the only
one who's dumb enough to have ever done that.

John