Re: [SLUG] Sarasota Meeting: If you attend, read this.

From: Pete Theisen (petet@acun.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 16:38:07 EST

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Pete Theisen wrote:
>
>> Chad Perrin wrote: <snip>
>>
>>> It is precisely for this reason that I got a sign for my office a
>>> few years ago that said "Due to the volume of complaints <snip>

> I tend to be more inclined to help people that ask for help when I'm
> providing it for free, though, rather than demanding it.
>
> Of course, maybe that's just me. Obviously, I wasn't one of the
> people that you demanded help from. I do recommend that you try the
> diplomatic approach more regularly and steadily, though. It'll
> probably net you better results.

Hi Chad!

Of course, I understand you. I addressed my post to you, but mainly my
first paragraph was about what you had posted and the rest was more to
what the bulk of the thread had been about. No, you weren't the one
doing the flaming. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I have been lurking tech lists for years but it is very hard to reach
the first rung where you are conversant enough with tech vocabulary and
tech culture where you can post a question without pi55ing half of the
list off.

I think the Linux community is bitterly divided as to whether they want
to expand to include users or if they want to remain a closed clique of
tech geeks. Someone trying to get his/her bearings in Linux gets caught
in the divide a lot.

Regards,

Pete