Re: [SLUG] Clearwater Verizon DSL and PPPOE

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 10:58:30 EST

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 06:59 am, Robert Snyder wrote:
> steve szmidt wrote:
> >On Monday 01 November 2004 10:05 pm, Paul M Foster wrote:
> >>Folks:
> >>
> >>I'm preparing to move and to get Verizon DSL in Clearwater. (I have
> >>Verizon DSL in New Port Richey at present.) The deal they're selling now
> >>is that they'll give you a combination DSL modem with 802.11g wireless
> >>router (you can turn off the router part). I'm not fond of commercial
> >>routers because they're not as infinitely configurable as a Linux
> >>router. Moreover I'm completely creeped out by using wireless because of
> >>the security issues. Verizon DSL in Clearwater uses PPPOE.
> >
> >Verizon DSL in Clw is DHCP, I have both cable and DSL and can interchange
> >between them, so even if I had it wrong it would have shown up. Actually I
> >tried PPoE and it did not work.
>
> Steve DSL reports forums have had a couple of people in EX-GTE
> areas be assinged on PPPOE when everyone else is straight DHCP. So far
> there has only been two reports in texas about this. Both were similar
> to Pauls situation. Have verizion move to a different city and end up
> with PPPOE. It something verizon has been saying they would do which
> eventually have everyone on PPPOE. So if right now they just do new
> customers with PPPOE and then eventually convert other people over or
> the other thing i heard is that they were going to grandfather in
> people. They might put people on PPPOE that are lookingto get the
> 3mpbs/768 upgrade. A number of secenarios but a PPPOE in GTE land was
> something long rumored and has recently reared its head elsewhere.

Ah, OK. Though I only got my DSL two months ago.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.