Re: [SLUG] Re: script/modem problem

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 15:52:47 EST

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Backward Thinker wrote:

> > > OK SLUGgers, maybe you (collectively) can see what I've missed.
> > > I wrote a script that reads caller-ID info from the modem and
> > > dumps it to syslog.
>
> Just making sure... this would require something beyond basic phone
> service (i.e. a plan that includes or an la carte purchase of
> caller-ID from the phone provider), right?

Verizon (formerly GTE) offers Caller ID service, at least as part of a
package (maybe you can get it standalone too). Without that optional
service, Caller ID info isn't sent. Anyhow, I've got the script working.

ARIES:  The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb
watermelon in your colon.  Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then
give a hickey to Meryl Streep.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_