Re: [SLUG] ECS K7S5A

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 18:16:41 EST

paddy wrote:
> I bought (without first searching the net for reviews. Ugh!) three (3)
> ECS K7S5A motherboards. I have been trying to set these turkeys up and
> get them to run, not having a lot of luck.
>
> My wife's old PC Chips MB gave up the ghost with a loud pop and smoke
> yesterday so I tried, since it was turkey day, to get one of these ECS
> monsters running. I'm about half way home. It only takes 20 minutes to
> load the OS but it still hangs at the slightest excuse.
>
> Has anyone else been as foolish as I. If so, (and I'll keep it in
> strictest confidence) please tell me what you did to get this turkey to
> fly.
>
> I paid $45 each on Ebay plus shipping so I'd like to get at least one of
> them running. It does not have to do much as my wife runs Windblows.
>
> Thanks,

I have several of the ECS K7S5A boards and have had very good
experiences with them. The onboard Ethernet, sound, USB and everything
else works fine with Linux (RH8, RH9, Fedora Core 1 & 2, Sun Java
Desktop). Make sure that you have a v3.1 board or later, since the 1.x
versions had some problems with sound.

First, make sure that you're using the correct CPU settings for your
chip. If necessary, downclock the board to the slowest settings. Then
start adjusting upwards.

If you're using Athlon XPs, make very sure that the fan is properly
installed. Almost all my issues were heat related.

The bad news is that you paid a little too much for the boards as I've
seen them for $35.