RE: [SLUG] Re: is it just me?

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 19:11:29 EST

Hi Mike,

I think what you are doing is a pretty good idea, and is badly needed. I
used to sell servers aimed at CAD users. It was pretty much a
one-shoe-fits-all system. I had an interview sheet, automated the install
and shipped the server for the customer to install. My target was
architect/civil engineering firms using AutoCAD. It was prefilled with
software and had install scripts for the workstations. The servers had
removable drives so I could send them a new box and have them swap the
drives if there was an issue. Worked pretty well.

I've thought about doing the same thing with a Linux box. Your project
sounds like the right direction, but I'd like to suggest a slightly
different near-term target. Aim for the small company that has a tech guy
that takes care of the computers part-time. That's what I did and it worked
great. You end up teaching him a few things and he does all the leg work.
Your support effort goes down as he gains experience.

Ken Elliott