Re: [SLUG] Re: is it just me?

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 21:50:22 EST

On Saturday 27 November 2004 12:49 pm, Mike Dittmeier wrote:
> All of the issues being presented are noted, and and in most parts
> agreed with. What I am noticing as a trend, was the original reason for
> me starting my business. We keep mentioning the fact that small
> businesses are left in the dark, either because of a perception that
> they can't afford us, or they don't have a challenging need for us. That
> sounds a little reminiscent of the proprietary software manufacturers
> that I'm sure we all philosophically compete with. If I can get 3000
> systems to setup that only take 1 hour to finish, vs 300 that take me a
> week each, am I working to hard or not hard enough. My feelings were and
> still are, that it doesn't matter. I feel that the small mom and pop
> shops are just as deserving of a lower TCO as the next business. What we
> are really dealing with is the legacy of previous companies that lack
> the integrity to properly inform the small business owner of what they
> really need to run their business. In most cases, a good word processor,
> spread sheet and accounting package is all that is needed.
>
> I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to be a crusader for the small
> folk either. The primary reason for this idea was to create a templated
> set of configuration files, weather they are used by SLUG members for
> their own home system or used by consultants to ease the tasks involved
> in rolling out Linux to the businesses they support. With enough input
> from folks, a set of templates will eventually expand out to
> applications other than those installed from our distributions such as
> accounting , payroll, and CRM solutions. The idea here is to share
> information and establish a base to learn from. Isn't that what open
> source is about?
>
> Ditt

Walmart made it a successful business model to offer cookie cutter solutions.
I think if you can offer it and still put food on the table - power to you.

But I'm not in business to earn the same amount as I did when employed. I have
goals that I want to reach and a normal salary does not cut it. Plus I like
working hard. Why do it for someone else when you can invest in yourself?

It's not a thing against mom and pop shops, but it IS a jungle out there. I'd
be more interested in helping my community once I made it bigger. When I can
afford to help the smaller guy.

I make it into a game (to get something I want). Make up a challenge with sub
goals to accomplish. Now its a nice game/challenge that I can work towards.

The bottom line is viability. Like I said if you can do what you set out to do
then power to you. At the same time I don't feel bad for them either. Just
like I don't feel bad for me not being able to afford certain things at this
time.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.