RE: [SLUG] Re: AutoCAD Clone for Linux - IntelliCAD now in beta

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 12:19:31 EST

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>> For those that didn't know of IntelliCAD prior,
>> it was started by 3 (was it?) former AutoDesk guys who didn't have
>> any NDA or other agreement that prevented them from building a clone.

<begin off topic CAD history lesson>

Not exactly. The IntelliCAD project was actually started by Softdesk - a
third-party provider of civil and architectural software that ran on top of
AutoCAD. When AutoCAD Release 13 turned out to be a toad, Softdesk sales
sank. David C. Arnold, CEO of Softdesk, decided he needed an alternative to
AutoCAD and started a secret project to build an AutoCAD clone, thus cutting
out Autodesk. Autodesk tried to purchase Softdesk and kill the project.
But the FTC stepped in and wouldn't allow the Softdesk sale to take place
unless Autodesk sold IntelliCAD.

They sold it so a small company call Boomerang (I think). After the sale,
Visio purchased Boomerang and started competing against Autodesk. Autodesk
responded by creating a Visio clone. When Microsoft purchased Visio, they
had no need for a CAD package, so they created the IntelliCAD consortium as
a way to experiment with a new open-source-like development model. It
didn't amount to much and Microsoft lost interest.

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>> Visio bought them out, then Microsoft bought out Visio, and then
>> IntelliCAD was quashed as a product. Not coincidentally, AutoCAD
>> dropped AutoLisp and adopted VBScript, and became Win32-only
>> shortly afterwards.

Autodesk committed to Win32 and VBA before the IntelliCAD project had
started. They needed to completely rewrite the core, which was started in
Release 13, and completed in AutoCAD 2000. Faced with such small revenue
from Mac and Unix sales, and growing interest in NT workstations, Autodesk
committed to Win32 for the rewrite. They had just hired Robert Carr
(Framework, later Ashton-Tate) and he was put in charge of the architecture.
Carr strongly believed in Win32 and C++. The Autodesk founders were Unix
guys who wrote in C, strongly objected, but most had already left the
company. Newly hired CEO Carol Bartz (formally of Sun) approved the project
and Carr began dumping the old C code. Carr is a nice guy, but his projects
seem to be cursed. AutoCAD R13 was the worse product in the history of the
company and was never really right. Carr left Autodesk shortly after.

AutoLisp was never dumped and still exists in AutoCAD 2005.

<end off topic CAD history lesson>

Ken Elliott