[SLUG] Re: AutoCAD Clone for Linux - IntelliCAD now in beta

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 13:26:26 EST

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 11:29, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> How long Microsoft will continue to allow a licensee to make their
> product WINE compatible, I don't know. I assume they can't do much,
> unless it becomes really popular. BricsCAD says they are working on a
> native port via WINELIB, but I have to believe Microsoft would yank
> their license if they did that. The WINE run-time version seems to work
> perfectly for me with any stock WINE build for Fedora, so I don't see
> much reason for a WINELIB port (given the possible loss of license).

Hmmm, I think I might see the reason:
http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/intellicad/select/092204_grabowski_intelli_conf.htm

'The ITC confirmed rumors that they purchased code from BricsCAD. The
main reason is speed. BricsCAD had already written the code and released
it in their variant of IntelliCAD last June. Numerous display functions,
like hatch patterns, TrueType font display, and linetypes, are 7-20x
faster after BricsCAD programmers examined the code for bottlenecks.
The BricsCAD code will be added to IntelliCAD v5.x, codenamed "Fusion"
-- fusing together IntelliCAD and Bricscad.'

Sounds like BricsCAD has something to bring to the table in return.
They probably have worked that into their licensing group.

Innovative company + official WINE run-time support = Good for Linux

The article goes on to say they are stating they are not completely
interested in 100% AutoCAD compatibility, but have higher sights on
setting themselves up as the standard. Interesting viewpoints.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux