Re: [SLUG] Print server

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 09:30:24 EST

On Thursday 18 November 2004 08:42 pm, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> I'm looking for a distro that focuses on just being a print server with
> Samba and SSH functionality. I guess I'm not very good with Google
> anymore. I tried distrowatch, but it seems the searching functionality is
> terrible.
>
> /mario

I've never heard of such a beast. Google on samba print server distro
and if it's there it should show up.

On the other hand all the big ones (distros) does that well. If you feel you
cannot configure it then you should spend a couple of hours getting familiar
with it as that education will probably turn out to be well worth it.

Of course you can also use the GUI config interface SWAT.

You just select minimum install and manually add samba and print server and
verify sshd is there and you're done. (If you also get mc you have an easy to
use file utility for when you need to move around. Then if you like SWAT add
X and ICE windows manager as a lightweigth GUI.)

Of course whenever you use samba or ms windows you block all those ports from
leaving your network as that will get you hacked otherwise. (udp 137-139, tcp
139, 445)

(Better yet block all outbound except for those you specify. Then just add
them one by one as needed. This will initially be a bit of a nuisance but
well worth it in the long run.)

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.