Re: [SLUG] Free unlimited tech support (Was: the golden rule...)

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 00:51:34 EST

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 05:59:04AM -0500, Robin Roblimo Miller wrote:

<snip>

> "You can't please everyone" is as true in computer software as in any
> other field. What's amusing about the people who are not pleased with
> Linux's current level of hardware compatibility is that hardly any of
> them are paying customers for any of the distribution publishers -- but
> still carp about their desires not getting high priority. I suspect this
> is because they are all Liberals who believe in entitlements and think
> the rest of the world owes them a living, but if I go on with that
> thought it will need to move to the politics list, so I will not pursue it.

Politics aside, I'll relate a similar story. I used to do tech support
at a company that made a report writer that typically sold on Unix and
DOS for $1K. At some point, someone got the idea of selling this tool to
DacEasy accounting users to allow them to get more out of their DacEasy.
The sale price for essentially the same version of the report writer to
DacEasy users was $99. We got more whiny, hand-holding tech support
calls from DacEasy users than any other group. At the time, we figured
that if they'd been forced to pay $1000 for this package, they'd have
been a lot easier to deal with. Don't know if that's true, but it's an
incident that's always stuck with me.

Paul