Re: [SLUG] St. Pet Meeting

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 07:33:21 EST

> Was the data lost in Windows or Linux?
> I have done data recovery in Windows 98, and it took 4 to 6 hours to
> make a pass
> that recovered good data. If something was in html the various parts
> would have
> to be put back together later.
> If it was in a Linux Reiser Journaling file system that toasted it is
> probably unrecoverable.
>
> Richard Smoot
To answer your question fully it is necessary to describe how the box is set
up and what happened.

Setup
>From memory hdaX may have different numbers but I believe these are correct.
hda1 Windows XP primary 10 GB
hda2 primary 40 GB
hda3 Data secondary 19 GB
hda4 /boot secondary 100 MB
hda5 / secondary 10 GB
hda6 swap secondary 1 GB
hda7 /home secondary 10 GB

Cause of problem
I visited a web site that had a java script that trashed /home.
Java and Java Script were turned on.

Not the first time this had happened. Normal correction procedure is to grab
install DVD and update/reinstall; takes 10 minutes; problem solved.

Could not find 9.1 DVD so decided to use 9.2 CDs which I hate.
Did up grade; time 1 hour, computer would not run.
Redid update; same issue.
Along the way I managed to trash hda1.

Two weeks later found 9.1 DVD and discovered that issue with update is that
DVD reader will install from DVD but will not install from 9.2 CDs. Issue
appears to be DVD reader.

Current Problem
Partations appear to be trashed and appearing as unknown type.

Attempts to down load Knoppix confronted download issue of DSL speed which
turned out to be T1 speed here at work. Given current work network if I
seceded in downloading and if ck sums agreed I would not use software
downloads here as I would not believe validity. This belief goes back to the
9.2 issue in which I made 10 of 15 what appeared to be perfect installations
but were trash installations. Still do not understand what the source of the
reader issue is as the system would load, start and run and then do the
craziest things one could imagine.

To add insult to insult with this I purchased 10.1 as a solution to a large
number of basically trivial issues 9.1 and 9.2 have. After posting issue with
10.1 here and on Thinkpad list I discover that a large number of Thinkpad
have the same issue with both 10.0 and 10.1 and that the Thinkpad users group
have not solved this problem yet. This of course is a different issue from
data recovery so back to that.

There are two sets of data in hda3 which consists of course trivial and
critical but from a technical point there is .jpg, .doc and excel files. All
.jpg files are trivial. All .doc and excel files are critical.

The excel files in general form a large client address book with several of
the 10 or 15 files containing over 10,000 names and addresses. I had planed
to move this to a data base several months back and was working toward that
when I stopped knowing I planed on upgrading the system but this is another
story.

Frank