Re: [SLUG] point and click Linux

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 21:54:29 EST

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 07:33 pm, Pete Theisen wrote:
> steve szmidt wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > You should check out SuSE latest. They have a live DVD and it is by
> > far the
>
> Hi Steve!
>
> I am a little shy to use SuSE. The last time I tried it it write
> protected one of my drives and I still can't get it unstuck. Oh, one of
> these meetings I will load it up and take it to the meeting and we will
> get it reformatted by one of the experts. I hesitate to do that, though,
> because it is such a tank - two 20" monitors, loads of peripherals, full
> size AT style case. Maybe someday have the meeting *here* . . .

I doubt that SuSE did the "wrong" thing to your drive, sounds more like a user
error. (It should only require one or two simple changes to undo anyway.)

You don't need to bring all of it over either. If you just remove the drive
and bring it over someone can correct your access rights. (Are you familiar
with /etc/fstab?)

> Or maybe I should run my Simply MEPIS live CD on it and see how that goes?

Me, I run them all. This way I find out what I like. You may very well prefer
MEPIS.

I was blown away how slick the install was from the live SuSE DVD. My
preference has been against SuSE for a few compatibility issues. But if I was
giving it to a non techie - that DVD was the best I've ever seen, and she
would never care anyway.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.