[SLUG] Re: large files on DVD -- single byte error = _toasted_ DVD set

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 07:44:24 EST

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 03:28, Eben King wrote:
> So I back up the installation of that Other OS by basically creating a
> partition image and compressing it with bzip2 (note: bzip2's output is
> less than 2% smaller than gzip's, but it takes MUCH longer to create).

Consider lzop if you're worried about speed, comparison of how much you
can fit on a CD and how long it takes:
  http://www.samag.com/documents/sam0204c/sam0204c_s1.htm

> A 13 GB partition compressed to 8G. I split into two chunks, each slightly
> smaller than a DVD.

Okay, now you're making your "backup" almost totally _inrecoverable_.
If you have even a _single_ byte error on _either_ DVD, then you
basically toast your copy. Not good.

> Then I find out the hard way that isofs can't handle
> files >2GB. Duh; I knew that. A little "split" action later,

You still have a mega-issue with recoverability if you get even a single
byte error.

Consider:
  http://freshmeat.net/projects/afio/

afio is USTAR (cpio = 5KB blocks, tar = 10KB blocks) compatible,
per-file compression inside archive, inherent "split" functionality,
etc...

You could use afio to make individual archives that are 500MB or so,
then make an .iso of that for DVD to make as many DVDs as you need. And
you are _only_ backing up the files you need.

In fact, this is what Mondo Rescue does, or at least used to. Create
.iso CD/DVD images of afio files. It's the most recoverable option
(even if the Mondo Rescue tool dorks up itself -- the .afio files are
still there and can be accessed).

-- Bryan

P.S. You could also use a script to do "point backups" directly onto a
single CD/DVD. I.e., use a script to backup specific directory, one
that is directly readable (only with individual files compressed). If
anyone is interested in such a script:
  http://www.samag.com/documents/sam0204c/sam0204c.htm
Listing:
  http://www.samag.com/documents/sam0204c/sam0204c_l1.htm

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux