[SLUG] Re: Slug Newbie here...

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 08:46:50 EST

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 13:52, Chad Perrin wrote:
> If you attend either the St. Petersburg or Tampa meetings, you can
> always sit near the back and be reasonably quiet. Some people will
> notice you're there, but unless you make yourself unignorable, directly
> participate, or look like Angelina Jolie, you can probably be a
> wallflower if you want to without any trouble whatsoever.

So this is what started it? Sigh, let the lust begin (except mine) ...

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 15:50, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> She does run Linux at home. Why do you think she's so "open." DOH!

And men wonder why some women don't want to be part of technical
organizations or the field altogether? Sigh.

I guess if you're going to make a comment about women, maybe use a
female of reference that is more representative of the type of woman we
could expect? Playing right into that one thing I dislike (yes, as a
man, and I'm sure many women do tloo) is the continual facination with
actresses.

So broaden your horizons gentlemen! There are many intelligent,
technical and attractive women that might be more representative of a
prospective female newbie. At least don't mention someone that is
rather non-representative, let alone try to keep the sexual innuendo to
a minimum.

Just my $0.02 ... Of course I even think "outside the box" when it
comes to women too.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux