Re: [SLUG] Re: Slug Newbie here...

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 21:40:45 EST

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 08:46:50AM -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 13:52, Chad Perrin wrote:
> > If you attend either the St. Petersburg or Tampa meetings, you can
> > always sit near the back and be reasonably quiet. Some people will
> > notice you're there, but unless you make yourself unignorable, directly
> > participate, or look like Angelina Jolie, you can probably be a
> > wallflower if you want to without any trouble whatsoever.
>
> So this is what started it? Sigh, let the lust begin (except mine) ...
>
> On Wednesday 01 December 2004 08:33, Mavrick wrote:
> > I wonder if Angelina Jolie runs Linux at home? Wouldn't THAT be cool.
>
> On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 15:50, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> > She does run Linux at home. Why do you think she's so "open." DOH!
>
> And men wonder why some women don't want to be part of technical
> organizations or the field altogether? Sigh.
>
> I guess if you're going to make a comment about women, maybe use a
> female of reference that is more representative of the type of woman we
> could expect? Playing right into that one thing I dislike (yes, as a
> man, and I'm sure many women do tloo) is the continual facination with
> actresses.
>
> So broaden your horizons gentlemen! There are many intelligent,
> technical and attractive women that might be more representative of a
> prospective female newbie. At least don't mention someone that is
> rather non-representative, let alone try to keep the sexual innuendo to
> a minimum.
>
> Just my $0.02 ... Of course I even think "outside the box" when it
> comes to women too.

Bryan, this was a joke. One that probably amused most of the list with
its irony.

Most of the people on this list are men. And a goodly portion of them
are geeks. Like most men, and probably disproportionately geeks, they
rarely find themselves paired with or even in the presence of someone of
Jolie's looks. So it's a fantasy of sorts for them. Most likely, if they
did meet up with someone like that, they'd be simultaneously thrilled at
their luck in meeting someone like that, and bored stiff by their lack
of anything in common with such a woman. FWIW, I've been to a lot of
meetings and never seen a woman of Jolie's looks show up, for _whatever_
reason.

There was no attempt to make draw any conclusions about women's looks
and their intelligence or fields of interest. If people analyzed jokes
that far, no one would ever laugh at anything.

Yes, you obviously have some objection to the content of the joke, and
that's unfortunate. Perhaps it does represent bad attitudes of men
towards women. I doubt it, though. My mother is quite intelligent and
was considered a "hottie" when she was younger. My wife is one of the
smartest women I've ever known. And both of them take particular glee in
ganging up on me. ;-} So I consider myself as someone with a healthy
attitude toward women. And I found the joke mildly amusing.

This joke was a long way from violating any list rules, and I don't
think your diatribe convinced anyone to think twice about the way they
view women.

Really, Bryan, you gotta loosen up. If you're gonna pick a fight about
something, this isn't it.

Paul