Re: [SLUG] DSL Download Speed

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 08:53:48 EST

Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:

> I once downloaded Slackware 9.1 at 7 kb/s, took 24.6 hours or so.
> (with my 3.2 mbps RR circuit, from an upgrade server)

Road runner is not dsl and does not have a circut totally different
technology. Cable can be either very fast or very slow. DSL is always
pretty close to there advertised speed. While verizon and others do
over subsribe dslam, if you call verizon tell them your a heavy
downloader they will move your circut to a different dslam that is not
oversubscribed.

Also it really does not matter how fast the connection if the server you
are pulling from is slow. For slackware never ever never pull stuff
from ftp.slackware.com you will never get more than 9 to 10 KB/s per
second. Also what KB vs kb. kb is kilobits and 8 kilobits make up
one KiloByte.