Re: [SLUG] My old flame...

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 11:08:12 EST

> One of the biggest problem with written communication is that unless noted,
> you cannot tell HOW something is communicated. What I mean is that you don't
> know if there's a smile on that persons face or evil intent.

[snip]

> I had this idea of a book I was going to write which was based on
> misunderstoods. It had in it a foreigner (like me), and followed his
> escapedes of escalated misunderstandings.

http://www.jokecenter.com/joke.cfm?id=708

Back in the BBS days I learned my first lessons of growing a thick skin and
not taking anything at face value. I was around 12 at the time, just playing
around with computers and modems for the first time, when I made a post
mentioning that old people (i.e., those folks in their twenties) didn't
understand us. An older guy (gawd, he must have been in his forties or
something) replied with something like "F--- you". He meant it as a joke, of
course, but I thought he was serious. Luckily it didn't get too far out of
hand before we realized the misunderstandings (he'd thought I was an adult; I
hadn't learned the nuances of humor).

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com