Re: [SLUG] random questions

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 09:09:10 EST

Russell Hires wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 07:14, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
>>I have some semi-random questions for the experts on the list.
>>
>>1. Why is it that, in a default install of Debian GNU/Linux Testing,
>>the sources.list entry for security patches is "deb
>>http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main" instead of "deb
>>http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main"?
>

> Because testing doesn't get security updates. I guess the theory is that
> whatever security updates get in are simply a part of whatever is being
> changed in the package anyway. For example, in kde, sarge has upgrades
> from one version to the next (which would include security stuff),
> whereas woody doesn't. The only thing woody gets is security updates.
> Debian doesn't want to change anything in a stable release unless it
> must.

Testing gets everything (worth keeping) that Unstable does, though --
just ten days later. So: Why not use a ten-days delayed Unstable for
Testing security, just like for everything else in Testing?

>>2. Why is MySQL so much more popular than PostreSQL?
>

> Because it's faster than PostgreSQL. Not better, but faster.

 From what I've been given to understand, that difference in speed has
been narrowed in the last few years until it's almost unmeasurable. I
keep hearing, in addition to this, that PostgreSQL is "better" in many
(pretty much all, to hear the common comparisons) ways. Of course, I
only have hearsay to go on, since I've not used PostgreSQL at all
myself, and am not precisely a MySQL expert.

--
Chad