Re: [SLUG] random questions

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 11:28:53 EST

> >>2. Why is MySQL so much more popular than PostreSQL?
> >

> > Because it's faster than PostgreSQL. Not better, but faster.
>
> From what I've been given to understand, that difference in speed has
> been narrowed in the last few years until it's almost unmeasurable. I
> keep hearing, in addition to this, that PostgreSQL is "better" in many
> (pretty much all, to hear the common comparisons) ways. Of course, I
> only have hearsay to go on, since I've not used PostgreSQL at all
> myself, and am not precisely a MySQL expert.

I am, of course, totally ignorant about these dbs, but people in the
know have always led me to believe that mysql was dog slow (much
slower than mssql), and that postgresql has always been much better in
that respect. OTOH, opinions don't directly translate into fact, etc
etc. Does someone have a reliable online resource for a comparison of
the two, speed-based or otherwise?

--
Debianista!