Re: [SLUG] Re: OT: picked up a screw around rig today

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 18:31:41 EST

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 13:46, chris lee wrote:
>
>>jesus its like a bunch of old women in here.......

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. I find it very difficult to let Bryan's
passive-aggressive insinuations lie, though. Character assassination is
dirty pool, and I don't like to be on the receiving end of it, even if
I'm just one of many.

> Agreed.
>
> But there is a point to my message, which was _not_ directed at Chad
> solely (even if he was the only one that responded). If you don't know,
> don't say it. If you don't have first-hand experience, then shy away
> from commenting, unless you are sure. The speculation of how Alan Cox
> could install Fedora on a 48MB system was a good example of this.

Nonsense. I knew something for sure: what I knew (though I didn't have
the source handy) is that there were reports of very high numbers
required for installation. I reported that. The fact that those
numbers were overstated was something I was unaware of, but hardly
reason to be silent. If I hadn't posted that, I still wouldn't know
that the numbers were overstated.

Don't try to silence people by making them feel like ignoramuses when
they're doing nothing more than reporting what they've seen. It's not
very nice. Sometimes, reporting such a thing is meant with good
intentions, and might even be a request for confirmation or denial.
Don't fly into a tantrum just because something someone says contradicts
your own experience.

> Fedora people know. Heck, Cobind, Rule Project, etc... people know what
> Anaconda _really_ requires. But Red Hat overstates things because if
> they said only 32MB, you can be sure there would be a public outcry on
> the 32MB systems where it doesn't install. If you know what you are
> doing (and I can only assume Alan Cox does as well as myself), you can
> install Fedora well below the requirements.

Great. You already said that. Two things:

1. The person asking wasn't someone that knew what he was doing in this
regard, and would be best served by accurate information about what
could be done without juggling boot loaders and partitions, rather than
by pointing out how Linux experts can get below not just reported, but
actual minimums for the Anaconda installer.

2. Someone else having different information than you does not
constitute an assault on your character.

> I don't want to inhibit sharing, but I rather tire of being considered
> "wrong," simply because my statements are not the majority. Especially
> when the majority isn't talking from first-hand knowledge. And it
> spirals into a tangent of assumptions, half-truths, "absolutes" (Red Hat
> says this, so it can't be otherwise!), etc... Again, I rather tire of
> it all.

NOBODY considered your information to be "wrong", as far as I noticed.
I certainly didn't. The only thing WRONG with your information was the
way it was presented as an attack.

Your sly insinuation here that I was claiming "Red Hat says this, so it
can't be otherwise" is somewhat out in left field, by the way. I just
said "These are the numbers I've seen." If someone wanted to dispute
them (which you did), I'd have been satisfied to say "Oh, well, that
would seem to make the numbers I've seen not strictly relevant" (if I
was given the chance, which I wasn't).

> But we can keep on going. We can keep having meta-discussions on what
> we think we know or how something works, from afar without actually
> using the project. And this is how most myths of products, solutions,
> etc... start and become "common knowledge."

Correcting misconceptions is best handled by saying "Actually, THIS is
the case," and not by pointing fingers and yelling "You're so WRONG!
You should be ASHAMED!"

> God forbid I mention a solution like XFCE, and comment that Fedora Core
> 2 would install and run well, on a 64MB system. ;-ppp

Actually, I thought that was a very good point. It was drowned in spite
and bile, though, so it lost its impact. While XFCE isn't to my taste
(I dislike the look and feel of things that resemble Gnome), I am
pleased with its goal (I like the attempt to make things less bloated
than Gnome). I just found your approach to be offensive. My reaction
makes sense, I think, considering that you took to heart the notion that
a [good,vigorous] offense made for the best defense.

--
Chad