Re: [SLUG] PCI-Express now seems to be the price/performance mainstay for Linux

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 19:35:09 EST

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> [ Since my PC_Support list is on the LEAP server, and even the
> re-created LEAP list seems to be down, I will post this here. Please
> let me know if this is not appropriate content. ]

[snip]

Since Linux runs on hardware, it doesn't strike me as being unforgivably
off-topic to discuss hardware here, even if no mention of OS is
involved. It might be problematic, in my estimation, if it were tacked
onto a thread about something largely unrelated, but it is its own
thread and thus stands on its own merits.

While this information isn't of sufficient interest to me at this time
to commit it to memory, it's nice to know that if (when, actually) this
becomes more relevant to my interests it'll be in the archives of the
list. Now, if only the SLUG archives were a little easier to search,
I'd be ecstatic to have this sort of information available.

Hmm. Maybe I should write a script for searching the archives that can
be incorporated into the website and submit it to the webmaster. I'll
have to see if I find the time soon. How about it, site-webmaster
(whoever you are)? I don't know that I'd create something
Lynx-friendly, I'm afraid. For that, you'd probably need someone with
more Lynx familiarity than I. Another option that occurs to me is to
simply write a command-line script that searches the archives from the
client computer, and offer it as a free download from the site, I suppose.

In any case, I for one appreciate the availability of the information,
and don't find fault with the thread, Bryan. Whatever you may think of
me, I don't have any problems with you being informative.

--
Chad