Re: [SLUG] Re: picked up a screw around rig today

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 20:17:49 EST

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 18:43, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
>>I wasn't calling Bryan's reference to Fedora in this thread into
>>question. My comment about advertising his favorite distro was in
>>reference to common behavior of his, not his behavior in this particular
>>thread, in case anyone (besides Bryan) is confused on this matter. I
>>don't want to be misrepresented and misunderstood in this.
>

> Okay, this _is_ the issue.
>
> I talk about Fedora because it is what I primarily use.
> I interject it when I feel it's relevant.
> In this thread, I did _not_ interject any additional commentary.
> I stayed 100% technical.

As far as this thread is concerned, I agree.

> Debian people do the same, and you _regularly_ interject it.
> And you comment on how it's good, better, etc...
> And that's fine.

That's pretty much the case. If I characterize it as "better", I think
I can be relied upon to characterize it as "better" in particular ways,
for particular purposes, rather than simply claiming it's the be-all
end-all. At the very least, I believe I always limit it as "better" for
my tastes when it's not a purely technical matter.

> *** KEY POINT ***
> But one thing I do _not_ do is comment on Debian regularly.
> But you seem to believe that you should comment on Red Hat regularly.
> Kinda sad since I've been more involved with Debian than you have with
> Red Hat.

I comment on Fedora under the following circumstances:

1. It was already the topic of discussion, and I offer what limited
knowledge I have (or ask questions about it, as appropriate).

2. I offer it as a VIABLE ALTERNATIVE, with explanations of when it
might be more or less appropriate for a given purpose than any other
alternatives I present.

3. I comment on its popularity.

That's it. I, for one, don't see anything wrong with any of the above.
  Your insinuation that I drag out Fedora as a mangy dog to be kicked is
unappreciated, and I'd ask you to retract that if I thought there was
any likelihood that you'd do so.

> In fact, the Fedora name change seems to have drove people out.
> They feel that they can comment on Fedora, because they used Red Hat
> Linux prior. And it's almost conflicting, because it hasn't changed,
> yet people talk about how it has -- but then base all their views on if
> it hadn't.

That's a sad state of affairs, and I find the migration away by many
based on misconceptions to be as misguided and unfortunate as you do. I
don't have any investment in Fedora myself, particularly, and thus don't
have as much reason to comment on that as you do, but I don't agree with
that estimation of the state of affairs.

--
Chad