Re: [SLUG] Re: picked up a screw around rig today

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 20:11:13 EST

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 18:43, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
>>I use WindowMaker as my favored window manager, by the way. I like the
>>fact that it doesn't suffer the weighty bloat of Gnome and KDE, nor the
>>cluttered interface. In fact, it's a less-cluttered interface than
>>basically every other window manager that isn't on the level of FVWM in
>>its lack (in my opinion) of smooth functionality. I don't know how it
>>compares to IceWM, Blackbox, and XFCE in terms of resource usage and the
>>like, but I don't favor those window managers' interfaces enough to make
>>the switch at this time anyway.
>

> What are your session and file managers then?
>
> Window managers are only part of the equation. Granted, session and
> file managers are optional, but some of us like the full trio.
>
> If I just run a Window manager, and not with a session or file manager,
> things tend to be quite smaller in footprint.

I pretty much don't use either.

I don't like having panels and icons cluttering up the interface when
all the same functionality can be had without traditional desktop icons,
task bars, and the like. I by far prefer the desktop-menu behavior of
WindowMaker. I understand that session management in the traditional
Windows-like and Mac-like sense is important to some people, and don't
begrudge them that. If such was important to me, I would be more
inclined to go with IceWM, as a lean, clean, fast, and functional
alternative.

WindowMaker does, actually, provide some functionality equivalent to a
session manager, however, with its dock, clip, and applet behaviors. I
make limited use of these things, essentially only because I like to
have a clock and some system status data readily available on my
interface. If I didn't have need of that, I would not have any use for
session management behavior at all, I think. In fact, I wish that some
of the behavior that is currently basically limited to the WindowMaker
Clip were directly accessible through the desktop menus so that I would
be able to do away with even more of the standard session management
traditional interface behavior.

My preferred file manager is the shell. While functionality associated
with graphical file managers is useful from within applications, I don't
find that I have any use for it as a separate application. In any case,
if I were to want a graphical file manager, I would prefer that it be a
fully independent application rather than part of a standard set of
tools with a window manager. I've learned some interesting preferences
from my negative experiences with Windows, I suppose.

I hope that answers your question(s) satisfactorily.

--
Chad